I travel non-stop.
My two big Vegas trips every year for the boutique, plus the LA trip, plus the two to Florida for Spring training, the six to D.C. to see the boy, the few home to Michigan… and this year, the one for straight relaxation in Mexico.
Signing up for a long distance relationship was either the most insane or the most rational decision of my life, depending on the day. Today, it’s both, as I will spend 7 hours driving to good ole Lexington, KY to see Sammy and catch a few baseball games with his pops. :)
PACKING. It’s like the eff word for me.
I absolutely despise it. I feel like I unpack, to do laundry, to pack again. I live in a small Chicago studio, where I store my luggage up high in my closet, risking my life on a stepladder and cramming it up on a ridiculously ancient shelf.
But finally, I feel like I’ve mastered packing. I have a system that works and that I stick to. It’ll always being annoying.. I’ll always wait until the last minute.. but it’s so much better now that I have a routine and specific steps I follow.
- Outfits. Every outfit… is an OUTFIT. I no longer pack “this new tank I just bought” unless I’ve packed everything to wear WITH it
- Less bras than days away, more panties than days away
- Bathing suit
- Jewels. I travel with my great grandmother’s old jewelry box because it fits just enough
- Shoes… are still a challenge. I usually settle on one pair of sandals, wedges, and heels this time of year
- Mini version of my make-up bag. I travel with a Lorac eyeshadow kit with enough versatility that it’s all I need, my foundation, bronzer, eyebrow pencil, liquid liner, mascara, and gloss
- Showering necessities. Moroccan Oil has a great travel kit we carry @ Thomas West Salon. Mini shampoo, conditioner, oil, and hairspray. It’s got enough space that I can weasel in my mini toothpaste and razor too (I pack my mini face wash in my make-up bag)
- TANNING WIPES! These puppies are brilliant. My boyfriend plays baseball outside all summer, and I work in a dungeon with no windows. Needless to say I spray tan myself before my trip, and use tanning wipes to “touch up” while away
I’ve learned to underpack, as I used to pack everything I liked in my wardrobe no joke. I’d rather pack too little, and find an excuse to shop, than pack too much, and be unorganized.
Hope your weekend is amazing!